The Monroe County Animal Control Shelter has many breeds of stray animals for adoption to the general public. The adoption of any county owned animal is at the option of the Animal Control Department. Before an animal is placed into a new home all stray animals shall be held pursuant to law in order to give the original owner a chance to claim their pet. Some animals may not be offered for adoption after the legal holding period if in the opinion of the Department the pet is either sick, injured, has vicious tendencies, or a condition which may be detrimental to the pet or the human and animal population of the community. These animals may be held and treated or euthanized at the discretion of the Department.
Persons adopting animals which have been kenneled in any facility should be aware that these animals may have been exposed to certain diseases either prior to or at the time of confinement. Some animals may appear healthy at the time of adoption however subsequently show signs of illness and need medical attention. Thus an animal adopted should be checked by your veterinarian within 2 days to assure timely provision of it's health needs.
Thousands of our animals have been adopted into new homes and enjoy normal, healthy lives. The staff at the shelter will be happy to assist you in choosing a pet to fit your needs.
Photos and information about animals available in Monroe County can be found at PetFinders website. You can enter the type of animal you want under Quick Search and enter the Monroe zip code of 48161
Cats, Kittens, Dogs and Puppies
$35.00 Sterilization Deposit
$10.00 Rabies Deposit
$10.00 Application Fee
Monroe County Animal Shelter Adoption Procedure
1. IF YOU PAY RENT, (APT., MOBILE HOME, OR HOUSE) WE REQUIRE A LETTER FROM YOUR LANDLORD GIVING YOU PERMISSION TO ADOPT AN ANIMAL. THE LETTER MUST BE ON LANDLORD’S STATIONARY OR INCLUDE A COPY OF THE LANDLORD’S PICTURE ID.
2. AN APPLICATION MUST BE COMPLETED. WITH THIS APPLICATION A BACKGROUND CHECK WILL BE PERFORMED. THERE IS A $10.00 CASH APPLICATION FEE. THE APPLICATION CAN BE COMPLETED BEFORE THE DOG IS AVAILABLE. WE MUST ALSO VERIFY THAT ALL DOGS CURRENTLY OWNED BY YOU ARE ALREADY LICENSED. IF THEY ARE NOT LICENSED, THE LICENSE MUST BE PURCHASED BEFORE ADOPTION OF ANY NEW ANIMALS CAN OCCUR.
3. ON THE DATE THE ANIMAL IS AVAILABLE TO BE ADOPTED, YOU WILL NEED $45.00 CASH, THIS MONEY IS FOR DEPOSITS. YOU WILL BE SIGNING TWO CONTRACTS. THE FIRST CONTRACT IS AN AGREEMENT TO HAVE THE ANIMAL SPAYED OR NEUTERED WITHIN 30 DAYS OF ADOPTION. THE SECOND CONTRACT IS AN AGREEMENT TO GET THE ANIMAL A RABIES VACCINATION WITHIN 30 DAYS OF ADOPTION. WHEN YOU ADOPT THE ANIMAL YOU WILL BE GIVEN INFORMATION ON A LOW COST SPAY/NEUTER CLINIC. YOU ARE WELCOME TO USE THE VETERINARIAN OF YOUR CHOICE.
4. DOCUMENTATION FROM THE VETERINARIAN CONFIRMING THAT YOUR ANIMAL HAS BEEN SPAYED OR NEUTERED AND VACCINATED FOR RABIES MUST BE BROUGHT BACK TO THE MONROE COUNTY ANIMAL SHELTER.
5. UPON COMPLETION OF THE CONTRACT, THE $10.00 RABIES VACCINATION DEPOSIT WILL BE USED TO PURCHASE YOUR DOG’S LICENSE WHICH IS $7.50. YOU WILL RECEIVE $2.50 CASH BACK. A CHECK IN THE AMOUNT OF $35.00 WILL BE MAILED TO EITHER YOUR ADDRESS OR TO YOUR VETERINARIAN TO REIMBURSE THE SPAY/NEUTER DEPOSIT.