To obtain a marriage license in Monroe County, apply at the Clerks office. Marriage licenses are accepted from 8:00 AM to 4:45 PM., closed from 12:00 to 1:00 . No personal checks are accepted for fees for Monroe County Clerks Office only cash or money orders.
- Men and women 18 years of age and older may contract marriage in Michigan without parents' consent. Ages 16 and 17 need parental consent.
- For purposes of marriage application, residency is determined by a current valid driver's license/state-issued I.D.:
- If one or both persons is a Michigan resident--they apply in the county where either applicant lives. The license is valid throughout the state.
- If both persons are out-of-state residents--they must apply in the county where they plan to be married. The license is valid in that county only. (Contact that Clerk for their requirements)
- The following is required of BOTH PERSONS at the time of application:
- Valid driver's license/state-issued I.D., showing correct address.
- Birth Certificate (abbreviated and wallet types are discouraged. HOWEVER, APPLICANT MUST KNOW PARENTS' BIRTH NAMES AND PLACES OF BIRTH). A certified copy of birth certificate for age 25 and under required.
- A certified or true copy of divorce judgment, if divorced.
- You must supply your social security number (so that we can issue a marriage license per MCL 333.2813 (2)(c) and MCL 551.102.)
- Fee per couple: $20.00--Michigan residents; $30.00--Out-of-state residents. Fee must be paid in the form of cash or money order.
- Both applicants must appear to apply for the marriage license.
To fill out form to apply for marriage license click Here (PDF). Please fill out form, print it and bring it with you.
- The marriage license is avaialbe for pick up on the 3rd business day following the application.
- License is NOT available for pick up on weekends and legal holidays.
- In emergency situations, a $50 waiver fee, to waive the 3-day waiting period, is available.
- The marriage must be solemnized within 33 days of application.
- Clerks Office is located in the Monroe County Courthouse, 106 E First St, Monroe MI 48161.
- Marriages may be performed at the 1st District Court Magistrate Office, Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., closed for lunch from 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. Call the District Court Clerks office for details at (734) 240-7075
- Persons 16 and 17 must show a certified copy of their birth certificate. Written consent of one parent or legal guardian, who must appear at the time of application, will be required. If parents are divorced, the parent must prove custodianship.
- Additional information or documentation may be required before this office will complete the marriage license application.