To obtain a marriage license in Monroe County, apply at the Clerks office. Office hours: 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 4:45 p.m., Monday through Friday (Except legal holidays). Monroe County Clerks Office accepts cash and/or money orders ONLY for fees.
Requirements for Marriage licenses in the County of Monroe, Michigan are as follows:
- Both parties must sign the affidavit and be present to apply for the license.
- Both parties must be 16 years of age with the signed consent of their parents or 18 years of age without their parents consent. If either parent is divorced, they must bring proof that they have legal custody of that child before they can sign the consent form.
- There is a three day waiting period after application.
- Proof of age must be presented. Certified birth record required for anyone under the age of 25 (other government documents accepted). Driver’s License acceptable for person over 25 years of age.
- If both parties live outside the state of Michigan, the license MUST be used in Monroe County. If one or both of the parties live in Monroe County, the license will be valid in the entire State of Michigan.
- Marriage licenses are $20 for Monroe County residents, and $30 for out of state residents. This fee is payable in cash or money order. NO PERSONAL CHECKS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
- Divorcees must have a certified copy of their divorce judgement.
- Marriage must be solemnized within 30 days of the date of issue IN THE STATE OF MICHIGAN. (In Monroe County for out of state residents)
- Social Security card and/or number is required to issue license.
- The marriage license is available for pick up on the 3rd business day following the application.
- License is NOT available for pick up on weekends and legal holidays.
- In emergency situations, a $50 waiver fee, to waive the 3-day waiting period, is available.
- The marriage must be solemnized within 33 days of application.
- Clerks Office is located in the Monroe County Courthouse, 106 E First St, Monroe MI 48161.
- Marriages may be performed at the 1st District Court Magistrate Office, Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., closed for lunch from 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. Call the District Court Clerks office for details at (734) 240-7075. Marriage may also be performed by the Monroe County Clerk by calling 734-240-7020 for availability. A $10.00 marriage fee is required.
- Persons 16 and 17 must show a certified copy of their birth certificate. Written consent of one parent or legal guardian, who must appear at the time of application, will be required. If parents are divorced, the parent must prove custodianship.
- Additional information or documentation may be required before this office will complete the marriage license application.