Persons adopting animals which have been kenneled in any facility should be aware that these animals may have been exposed to certain diseases either prior to or at the time of confinement. Some animals may appear healthy at the time of adoption however subsequently show signs of illness and need medical attention. Thus we recommend any animal adopted should be checked by your veterinarian within 2 days.
Thousands of our animals have been adopted into new homes and enjoy normal, healthy lives. The staff at the shelter will be happy to assist you in choosing a pet to fit your needs. We also house animals that are being sponsored by the Monroe S.P.C.A. rescue. Adoptions through this group have a different adoption process at these dogs will be spayed/neutered, microchipped, and be up to date on shots. For more information, vist http://www.monroespca.org .
Photos and information about animals available in Monroe County can be found at PetFinders website. You can enter the type of animal you want under Quick Search and enter the Monroe zip code of 48161
Cats, Kittens, Dogs and Puppies
$25.00 Sterilization Deposit
$10.00 Application Fee
Monroe County Animal Shelter Adoption Procedure
(All adoptions are on a "first come, first serve" basis, and must be completed in person)
1. IF YOU PAY RENT, (APT., MOBILE HOME, OR HOUSE) WE REQUIRE A LETTER FROM YOUR LANDLORD GIVING YOU PERMISSION TO ADOPT AN ANIMAL. THE LETTER MUST BE ON LANDLORD’S STATIONARY OR INCLUDE A COPY OF THE LANDLORD’S PICTURE ID.
2. AN APPLICATION MUST BE COMPLETED. WITH THIS APPLICATION A BACKGROUND CHECK WILL BE PERFORMED. THERE IS A $10.00 CASH APPLICATION FEE. THE APPLICATION CAN BE COMPLETED BEFORE THE DOG IS AVAILABLE. WE MUST ALSO VERIFY THAT ALL DOGS CURRENTLY OWNED BY YOU ARE ALREADY LICENSED. IF THEY ARE NOT LICENSED, THE LICENSE MUST BE PURCHASED BEFORE ADOPTION OF ANY NEW ANIMALS CAN OCCUR.
3. ON THE DATE THE ANIMAL IS AVAILABLE TO BE ADOPTED, YOU WILL NEED $25.00, THIS MONEY IS FOR A DEPOSIT. YOU WILL BE SIGNING A CONTRACT. THE CONTRACT IS AN AGREEMENT TO HAVE THE ANIMAL SPAYED OR NEUTERED WITHIN 30 DAYS OF ADOPTION. WHEN YOU ADOPT THE ANIMAL YOU WILL BE GIVEN INFORMATION ON A LOW COST SPAY/NEUTER CLINIC. YOU ARE WELCOME TO USE THE VETERINARIAN OF YOUR CHOICE.
4. DOCUMENTATION FROM THE VETERINARIAN CONFIRMING THAT YOUR ANIMAL HAS BEEN SPAYED OR NEUTERED MUST BE BROUGHT BACK TO THE MONROE COUNTY ANIMAL SHELTER.
5. UPON COMPLETION OF THE CONTRACT, A CHECK IN THE AMOUNT OF $25.00 WILL BE MAILED TO YOUR ADDRESS FROM THE COUNTY OF MONROE.