The Monroe County Animal Control Shelter has many breeds of stray animals for adoption to the general public. The adoption of any county owned animal is at the option of the Animal Control Division. Before an animal is placed into a new home all stray animals shall be held pursuant to Michigan law in order to give the original owner a chance to reclaim their pet. Some animals may not be offered for adoption after the legal holding period if, in the opinion of Animal Control, the pet is either sick, injured, or has aggressive tendencies. These animals may be held and treated, transferred to a rescue, or, in extreme circumstances. humanely euthanized at the discretion of the staff. We do not euthanize animals merely to "make space".
Thousands of our animals have been adopted into new homes and enjoy normal, healthy lives. The staff at the shelter will be happy to assist you in choosing a pet to fit your needs.
Photos of Animals
We try and post photos of dogs on intake, reclaim, and adoptions, (time permitting) on our Facebook page.
Photos are also posted on the Save Monroe Strays Facebook page.
Photos and information about animals available in Monroe County may be found at PetFinder or Adopt-A-Pet websites. You can enter the type of animal you want under Quick Search and enter the Monroe ZIP code of 48161.
- Cats, Kittens, Dogs, and Puppies
- $25 Sterilization Deposit
- $10 Application Fee
Note: Some cats are sponsored by "Save Monroe Strays". The primary objective is for cat adoptions through Pet Supplies Plus, however there may be some available through the shelter. These cats are fully vetted and have a different adoption fee. A kitten is $80 and an adult cat is $50. This allows for a continuation of Veterinary treatment for more cats.
All adoptions are on a "first-come, first-serve" basis. Applications must be completed in person.
- If you pay rent, (apt., mobile home, or house) we require a letter from your landlord giving you permission to adopt an animal. The letter must be on the landlord’s stationery or include a copy of the landlord’s picture ID.
- An application must be completed. With this application, a background check will be performed. There is a $10 cash application fee. The application can be completed before the dog is available. We must also verify that all dogs currently owned by you are already licensed. If they are not licensed, the license must be purchased before the adoption of any new animals can occur.
- On the date the animal is available to be adopted, you will need $25, this money is for a deposit (a deposit is not collected if the animal is already sterilized). You will be signing a contract. The contract is an agreement to have the animal spayed or neutered within 30 days of adoption. When you adopt the animal you will be given information on a low-cost spay/neuter clinic. You are welcome to use the veterinarian of your choice.
- Documentation from the veterinarian confirming that your animal has been spayed or neutered must be brought back to the Monroe County Animal Shelter.
- Upon completion of the contract, a check in the amount of $25 will be mailed to your address from the county of Monroe.
Notice of Ill Animals
Persons adopting animals that have been kenneled in any facility should be aware that these animals may have been exposed to certain diseases either prior to or at the time of confinement. Some animals may appear healthy at the time of adoption however subsequently show signs of illness and need medical attention. Thus we recommend any animal adopted should be checked by your veterinarian within 2 days.