Dog Licensing

Animals That Need Licenses

Dog licenses are required for all dogs four months of age or older and are available year-round. Licenses are considered non-delinquent in the following circumstances:

  • Newly purchased or acquired dogs
  • Pups just attaining four months of age
  • Dogs just becoming a Michigan resident
  • Owners renewing their dog's license prior to the end of February of each year
  • New licenses must be purchased within thirty days in order to qualify

Currently, cats and ferrets do not have to be licensed. Ferrets must be vaccinated for rabies and we encourage owners to vaccinate their cats against rabies, due to roaming and being susceptible to rabies.

Reasons For Licensing

  • Affixed licenses are excellent identification - it's your pet's ticket back home and allows us to notify you when your lost pet is found - Central Dispatch has 24 hour access to the database, ensuring that you (or a contact) can be reached
  • Licensing ensures that your dog is vaccinated against rabies
  • Licensing provides proof that the dog legally belongs to you
  • It's the law to have your dog licensed

Licensing Fees

CircumstanceNon-Delinquent AmountDelinquent Amount
Non-Sterilized dogs$15$30
Spayed/Neuter dogs$7.50$15
Certified Leader and service dogs (Certificate or Affidavit required)No ChargeNo Charge

Pro-Rated Licenses

A "pro-rated" license may be obtained after July 10th of the calendar year if the dog just turned 4 months old, you have owned it 30 days or less, or you just moved into Michigan.  The price for the license is half the normal price.  Unless these criteria are met, the license is delinquent after February 28th.

A current rabies vaccination certificate signed by a veterinarian is required to purchase a license. To obtain a $7.50 license you must submit proof that your dog is surgically sterilized. You can do this by sending a Veterinarian's Certificate of Sterilization. Licenses can be purchased at the Animal Control Office, located at the Sheriff's Office (100 E. 2nd St). 

Obtaining a License

Licenses are available through the mail. You must submit your check or money order, rabies vaccination certificate, proof of sterilization (if applicable), and prepared application (PDF) to:
Monroe County Animal Control
100 E. 2nd St.
Monroe, MI 48161

A license tag will be replaced at the Monroe County Animal Control for no charge if the tag is lost or damaged, prior to it expiring.

Filling out the Application

Please provide additional contacts, along with phone numbers, so we can get in contact with you in the event your primary number does not work, or is not answered. Our goal is to get your pet back to you as soon as possible.

Contact Us

If you have any questions regarding licenses and fees, please contact the shelter during business hours.