- Elected Government
- Courts of Monroe
- 1st District Court
1st District Court
Due to Inclement Weather -- District Court users should be advised that if their proceeding is scheduled to be conducted remotely via Zoom they must still dial into the appropriate court to determine if their case will be heard.
The 1st District Court will provide access and services to all Court Users in a Fair, Consistent and Timely Manner.
In fulfillment of the mission, we are committed to:
- Resolving civil and criminal matters fairly and efficiently
- Providing a dignified, , safe and courteous environment for all people who work in and use the services of the Court
- Effectively allocating resources to implement those mandates of the Legislature and the Michigan Supreme Court
- Seeking cooperation of all court personnel to further the goal of total accountability to the Public
- Actively integrating the Court's resources with those of the community, while protecting the rights of all persons regardless of race, gender, religious or sexual preference.
District Court, with which citizens have contact more than any other court, has exclusive jurisdiction of all civil litigation up to $25,000 and handles garnishments, eviction proceedings, land contract and mortgage foreclosures, and other proceedings. In the criminal field, district court handles all misdemeanors where punishment does not exceed one year, including arraignment, setting and acceptance of bail, trial and sentencing, and conducts preliminary examinations in felony cases.
A small claims division for civil cases up to $6,500 is provided in district court. In these cases, litigants agree to waive their right to a jury, rules of evidence, representation by a lawyer, and the right to appeal from the district judge's decision. If either party objects, the case will be heard by the general civil division of the district court. A pdf file is available regarding Information on Starting A Small Claims Suit or clicks the Small Claims Self Help link at http://www.courts.michigan.gov/self-help/center/pages/default.aspx Free small claims forms are available at the Michigan Supreme court site at the following Michigan.gov link.