CLICK THIS LINK TO APPLY ONLINE
WAIT A MINIMUM OF 3 DAYS TO STOP INTO THE CLERK'S OFFICE TO COMPLETE THE TRANSACTION AND RECEIVE YOUR LICENSE,
Where to Apply & Where to Marry
If either of the couple are Michigan residents, they must apply with the county clerk where one or both have legal residence. Once the license is issued, Michigan residents can marry anywhere in the State. (MCL 551.101) Apply on-line and save time at: Monroe County License Portal website.
If neither of the couple lives in Michigan, they must apply with the county clerk where the marriage ceremony is to be performed. Once issued, the license can be used only in the issuing county. (MCL551.101)
In either case, a Michigan license is not valid outside the state of Michigan.
Requirements for Marriage Licenses
- Both parties must be at least 18 years of age to consent to marriage MCL 551.103
- Both parties must have a driver's license or state ID.
- Both parties must sign the affidavit and be present to apply for the license.
- There is a three day waiting period after application. When applying online, the waiting period begins when the application is submitted.
- Proof of age must be presented. Certified birth record required for anyone under the age of 25 (other government documents accepted). Driver's License acceptable for person over 25 years of age.
- If both parties live outside the state of Michigan, the license must be used in Monroe County. If one or both of the parties live in Monroe County, the license will be valid in the entire State of Michigan.
- Marriage licenses are $20 for Monroe County residents, and $30 for out of state residents. This fee is payable in cash or money order. No personal checks will be accepted.
- Marriage must be solemnized within 30 days of the date of issue in the State of Michigan. (In Monroe County for out of state residents)
- Social Security card and/or number is required to issue license.
- The marriage license is available for pick up on the 3rd business day following the application.
- License is not available for pick up on weekends and legal holidays.
- In emergency situations, a $50 waiver fee, to waive the 3-day waiting period, is available.
- The marriage must be solemnized within 33 days of application.
- Clerks Office is located in the Monroe County Courthouse at:
- 106 E First Street
Monroe MI 48161
- 106 E First Street