Effective October 1, 2021 - Clean slate to drive
Due to a change in state law, driver's license suspensions will be lifted if they were issued for failing to pay tickets or court fines for failing to appear in court for some violations.
Visit the Michigan Department of State for further details.
A Defendant has these options when a citation is issued:
- "Admit responsibility without explanation" for a civil infraction and make an appearance in person, by representation, or by mail, pay the applicable fine and cost and the case will be closed.
- "Admit responsibility with explanation" for a civil infraction and make an appearance by mail.
- "Deny responsibility" for a civil infraction and request an informal or formal hearing in person, by mail, by email, or by phone.
- If a defendant Fails to Respond within the time period listed on the front of a citation or Fails to Appear for a Hearing, the Court will enter a default judgment against the defendant and impose appropriate sanctions.
- Payments may be made by certified check or money orders, made payable to the "1st District Court" or by using the Court's online payment option. A NSF fee of $25 will be assessed and possible prosecution on personal checks. Warning: Incorrect or late payments will result in further actions by the Court, including possible driver license suspension or other sanctions.
- Misdemeanor citations require the defendant to contact the court at 734-240-7076.
1st District Court
Traffic Fine and Costs Schedule
|1 - 5 MPH Over Limit||$ 100.00|
|6 - 10 MPH Over Limit||$ 120.00|
|11 - 15 MPH Over Limit||$ 140.00|
|16 - 25 MPH Over Limit||$ 160.00|
|26+ MPH Over Limit||$ 180.00|
|Speeding on Interstate|
|1 – 5 MPH Over Limit||$ 100.00|
|6 – 10 MPH Over Limit||$ 120.00|
|11-15 MPH Over Limit||$ 140.00|
|16-25 MPH Over Limit||$ 160.00|
|26+ MPH Over Limit||$ 180.00|
|Speeding in Construction / School / Emergency Zone||Contact Court|
|Careless Driving||$ 215.00|
|Child Restraint||$ 100.00|
|(note) Defective Equipment (Waivable)||$ 100.00|
|Disobey Signal||$ 115.00|
|Disobey Signal w / Accident||$ 140.00|
|Disobey Stop Sign||$ 115.00|
|Disobey Stop Sign w / Accident||$ 140.00|
|Expired Plate||$ 100.00|
|Fail to Change Address||$ 100.00|
|Fail to Signal||$ 115.00|
|Fail to Signa w / Accident||$ 140.00|
|Fail to Yield||$ 115.00|
|Fail to Yield w / Accident||$ 140.00|
|Follow too Close||$ 115.00|
|Follow too Close w / Accident||$ 140.00|
|Graduated License Violation||$ 100.00|
|Impeded Traffic||$ 200.00|
|Improper Overtaking / Passing / Turning||$ 115.00|
|Improper Overtaking / Passing / Turning w / Accident||$ 140.00|
|No Operator License on Person||$ 215.00|
|Other License Violations||Contact Court|
|(note) No Proof of Insurance||$ 140.00|
|Parking Violation||$ 50.00|
|Parking Handicap Violation||$ 170.00|
|Refusal Preliminary Breath Test||$ 175.00|
|Registration Violations||$ 100.00|
|Seat Belt Violations (Driver / Passenger)||$ 65.00|
|Violation of Basic Speed Law (VBSL)||$ 115.00|
|Violation of Basic Speed Law w / Accident||$ 140.00|
- Defective Equipment must be repaired and reported to court within 10 days
- Valid Proof of Insurance and $25 Fee mailed to court in 10 days
- Add $25 default fee after 10 days
- Add $45 Suspension Fee after 30 days - 20% Late fee after 56 days
if you do not see your violation listed, contact the court at 734-240-7076. This schedule only applies to those violations paid to the 1st district court within 10 days from the date on the citation. It does not apply to cases heard in court. Please read the back of citations for further instructions.