Delinquent Tax Payments

Payment Policy

It is the policy of the Monroe County Treasurer to accept partial payments in any reasonable amount any time prior to foreclosure. If monthly partial payments are being made, it is imperative the amount paid is sufficient to assure the tax is paid in full prior to foreclosure. Checks are accepted as conditional payment. If not honored by the bank, the tax is considered unpaid, and the receipt is void.

Payment is accepted in the form of cash, check, money order, or credit card.

Monthly automatic withdrawal from your checking or savings account is also available. Please complete the Automatic Payment Authorization Form (DOC), and contact our office for more information.

Visit the BS&A Online Services website to ay delinquent taxes online. There is a 3% Convenience Fee for paying online with a credit card.

Payment Extensions

Senior citizens, paraplegics, quadriplegics, hemiplegics and totally and permanently disabled persons must file income tax form MI-1040CR. Eligible servicemen, eligible veterans, eligible widows and blind persons must file income tax form MI-1040CR2 for their property tax rebates.

You may be able to delay paying your property taxes until after the usual date without penalty. The delay program is designed to let you pay your taxes after you receive your credit payment. To qualify, you must be eligible to claim credit in one of these groups: Senior citizen (age 65), paraplegic, quadriplegic, hemiplegics or totally and permanently disabled, blind person, active military, disabled veteran or eligible veteran's spouse.

To be eligible, you must file your HOMESTEAD PROPERTY TAX credit form with the Michigan Department of Treasury by February 14 each year. When the rebate check is received, it should be taken to your local Treasurer if between February 14 and February 28 or to the County Treasurer if between March 1 and April 30. You must also present a copy of your credit claim form to receive the extension.

A person only receiving Social Security or Pension that does not normally file an Income Tax Return, may also be eligible for this rebate and should contact their local Senior Citizens Center or call toll free for the tax credit phone service at 1800-877-MICH (6424).

State tax forms should be filed as soon as possible. You do not have to file regular income tax for the rebate, just show the amount of tax on the form. The rebate check will be made out with the County Treasurer's name on it unless you send a copy of your paid tax receipt to the State along with your credit form.

For other Property tax forms visit the Michigan Department of Treasury website.