Frequent Reasons for Rejection
- The name and expiration date of any notary public whose signature appears upon the instrument must be legibly printed, typewritten, or stamped upon the instrument immediately beneath the signature of that notary public.
- A discrepancy may not exist between the name of each person as printed, typewritten, or stamped beneath their signature and the name as recited in the acknowledgment or jurat on the instrument.
- Incorrect Fees: Over____ Under___
- Signatures must be original; names must be typed or printed beneath all written signatures.
- Court orders must be certified by the clerk of the court
- Please check your Legal Description.
- The name and address of the person who drafted the document must appear on documents executed in Michigan
- The document must be: Legible, printed in black ink, type size 10 point, white 20lb paper, with a blank margin of 2 ½" at top of first page and ½" on all other margins. Paper size must be minimally 8 ½" x 11" not greater than 8 ½" x 14"
- First page of document must display on the first line of print a single statement identifying the recordable event. MCL 565.201 (3) (iii)
- Instruments conveying or mortgaging property must state the marital status of all male grantors/mortgagors.
- Unless state or federal law, rule, regulation, or court order or rule requires that all or more than 4 sequential digits of the Social Security number appear in the instrument, Eff. September 6, 2007, the first 5 digits of any Social Security number appearing in or on the instrument must be obscured or removed.
- House Bill 4075 has changed state law regarding fees associated with the purchase of tax records and tax certifications required on some documents recorded for public record. Effective July 1, 2015 the fee for tax certification will be $5. Please send a separate check payable to Monroe County Treasurer for these fees. This check may be mailed to the Register of Deeds office with the document being recorded.
For a printable copy of this information, view the Counter Rejection Checklist (PDF) document.