Fort Sumter in South Carolina is where the first shots of the Civil War were fired by the Confederates upon the Union soldiers holding out there in April 1861.
Ferries take visitors from the mainland out to the island. This is a view of the ferry from above the main compound.
This is a copy of what the Fort looked like at the time of the firing, from Smithsonian magazine.
One of the two restored cannon that swivel in place and look out to the water.
Raisinville township, Monroe county resident Norman J. Hall is listed on the bronze plaque to honor those who were there at the first shots. He was commissioned to West Point from the county and was later in command of the 7th Michigan Volunteer Infantry, though in April, 1861 he was part of the US Artillery at Fort Sumter.