I don’t like my attorney. Can I have a new one appointed?

You would have to ask the trial court for substitute counsel to be appointed for your case. The court will have to find that there is an appropriate basis for granting your request. Not liking your attorney is not considered adequate grounds for new counsel. If you can't work with your attorney and have a breakdown of the attorney-client relationship, you can ask the court to assign another attorney.

Show All Answers

1. What are my rights in a criminal case?
2. What is the difference between a civil infraction, misdemeanor and felony?
3. I’ve been charged with a crime. What happens now?
4. How do I request an attorney?
5. When will my appointed attorney meet with me?
6. Can I pay my Court Appointed Attorney to get them to work harder for me?
7. My attorney won’t give me my Discovery Packet or file. Aren’t they required to do so?
8. My attorney asked if my family could pay for an expert or investigator. What if I can’t afford it?
9. I don’t like my attorney. Can I have a new one appointed?
10. Is my court appointed attorney a "real" attorney?
11. How should I dress when I have a hearing?