Do I need a plan review?

If you are starting a new restaurant, special transitory food unit (STFU) or mobile unit, a plan review must be completed prior to the start of construction. If you are making any changes to an existing restaurant, or purchasing/becoming new operator or an existing STFU or mobile unit, a plan review is also necessary. You must fill out the necessary forms. Following thorough completion of the forms, submit forms and applicable fees to the Monroe County Health Department Environmental Health Division located at:
2353 S Custer Road
Monroe, MI 48161

A review of the packet will take place and staff will return the forms if there is any missing information or changes that are necessary. Once all requirements are satisfied approvals will be given by this office. Do not start construction until you have received approvals from this office. At times, there are changes that must be made to the plans.

For newly constructed restaurants it is imperative that all the information is filled in and any changes in existing restaurants must be noted in the change of ownership inspection. Please call the Environmental Health Division at 734-240-7900 to set up an appointment for change of ownership inspection.

Plan review information for Special transitory food units (DOCX) can be found at Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development.

Show All Answers

1. How do I apply for a food service license? How much does it cost?
2. I want to buy/operate an existing fixed food service establishment (restaurant), what do I do?
3. Do I need a plan review?
4. How do I receive a copy of the new Food Law?
5. Are there any additional resources to help me ensure proper food safety?